Our dojo was founded in 2013 and is led by Phil Sugino, a fourth degree black belt student of Tsutomu Ohshima, founder of Shotokan Karate of America (SKA).
Our members enjoy a direct link to ancient masters of martial arts through Mr. Ohshima and his direct instructor, Gichin Funakoshi, founder of Shotokan Karate.
We strive to strengthen body, mind and spirit, perfect character, and faithfully transmit the art to future generations.
- Karate can be practiced by everyone at any age for self-defense, to strengthen the entire body, improve balance, efficiency of movement, breathing and overall health. No special equipment is needed.
- Karate helps to strengthen the mind, develop courage, fortitude, and the ability to achieve goals.
- Karate practice emphasizes spiritual values of courtesy, integrity, humility, justice, honor, and self-control.
- The study of karate benefits the student in all areas of their life.
We are so glad that you are interested in joining Torrance Dojo.
Joining is easy – just visit any of our practices! If you decide to become a member, you must join Shotokan Karate of America ($75 for the rest of this year) and then pay dojo dues at the beginning of each month. As a member of SKA you will be able to attend any SKA regional, national, and international event open to your rank, and you’ll be able to test for rank twice per year at no charge. Black belt testing is also without charge, but by invitation only.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.” – Master Gichin Funakoshi
- Contact: Phil Sugino at 310 487-0651 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Location: City of Torrance-Cultural Arts Center 3330 Civic Center Drive, Torrance, California 90503